• Industry
    • Opinion
    • Features
      • iGaming Data
      • Sports Betting Data
    • Finance
    • Online Casinos
      • US Online Casinos
      • CT Online Casinos
      • MI Online Casinos
      • NJ Online Casinos
      • NY Online Casinos
      • PA Online Casinos
      • WV Online Casinos
    • News
    • Podcast

      Regulation

      Santa Anita Park Takes Its 3×3 Machine Case To Court

      The Los Angeles Turf Club filed a 52-page writ of mandate against the California Department of Justice on Tuesday

      By Jeff Edelstein

      Last updated: January 22, 2026

      1 min

      santa-anita

      Santa Anita Park is taking its Racing on Demand fight to court.

      The track filed a 52-page writ of mandate against the California Department of Justice on Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, according to a Los Angeles Times report. The suit seeks the return of 26 betting machines (and the cash inside them) that state agents seized on Saturday, just two days after the machines went live.

      The clock is ticking: The state says it will destroy the machines in 30 days unless a court steps in.

      The petitioner, listed as the Los Angeles Turf Club, argues that the 3X3 wager, which consists of picking the top three finishers in three different races, should be legal for past races, just as it is for live ones. The California Horse Racing Board (CHRB) approved the wager type back in April 2024. What’s in dispute is whether that approval extended to historical races or only live ones. The regulation didn’t spell it out, according to the report.

      Santa Anita sues the California DOJ after it removed the Racing on Demand betting machines. The CHRB was more involved in this than previously thought. https://t.co/lszFIZQHY7

      — John Cherwa (@jcherwa) January 21, 2026

      The track’s main argument: State regulators had plenty of time to object and never did.

      “Neither the Attorney General’s office, nor the CHRB, ever disputed [the track’s] written legal analysis or stated that the [track] did not have the legal right to offer the 3X3 wager on concluded races,” the suit states, according to the Times.

      Many meetings, then warrantless seizure

      According to the complaint, track officials met with CHRB personnel multiple times throughout 2024 and 2025 to discuss the machines. As recently as Nov. 25, 2025, representatives from Santa Anita, Del Mar, and the Thoroughbred Owners of California sat down with CHRB’s executive director, deputy director, and legal counsel. On Dec. 22, 2025, track officials spoke with CHRB Executive Director Scott Chaney about launching the machines “within the next several weeks.”

      Yet when the machines went live last Thursday, the CHRB issued a statement saying: “Like everyone else, we had heard rumors, but the CHRB was unaware of this actual move.”

      That same day, Santa Anita’s Scott Daruty sent Chaney a letter referencing “several recent informational meetings and calls we hosted with you, certain members of your staff, and certain CHRB commissioners.”

      The suit says 21 DOJ personnel and two Arcadia police officers arrived at the track with a U-Haul. The state justified skipping a warrant by calling Santa Anita an “open business with ongoing criminal activity.”

      The track received a receipt for the 26 machines. Its request for an itemized receipt for the confiscated cash was denied.

      California’s tribal gaming interests, which hold jurisdiction over most non-pari-mutuel wagering in the state, remain the machines’ loudest opponents, according to the report, arguing they’re slot machines in everything but name. The tribes are also major contributors to California politicians and their PACs.

      Get Weekly Email Updates

      Covering all aspects of regulated U.S. online casinos, iGaming, sweepstakes, and more

      live casino philadelphia

      Pennsylvania Gaming Board Bans 11 Customers, Fines Philadelphia Casino For Taking Proxy Bets

      us supreme court

      Supreme Court Declines To Hear Florida Sports Betting Case, Leaving Seminole Tribe Monopoly Intact

      Bally's Bronx NYC Council vote

      Bally’s Bronx Casino Bid Suffers Huge Blow

      luckyland

      VGW Faces RICO Lawsuit In New York Amid Expanding Legal Challenges

      Recommended Read

      santa-anita

      Regulation

      Santa Anita’s ‘Racing On Demand’ Experiment Lasts Just Two Days Before State Seizure

      There’s More…

      Regulation

      Alabama To Try Again To Legalize Casinos, Lottery, Sports Betting

      February 4, 2026

      Jeff Edelstein

      rfp

      Industry

      Responsible Online Gaming Association Launches RFP For New RG Certification Program

      January 22, 2025

      Jeff Edelstein

      Maine Gambling Unit sweeps statement

      Regulation

      Maine Gambling Control Unit Lumps Sweepstakes Casinos Into Illegal Online Play

      June 11, 2025

      Chris Altruda

      Yonkers MGM Empire City NYC Casino

      Industry

      MGM Empire City Holds First Public Hearing On Casino Expansion

      August 12, 2025

      Chris Altruda

      Get Weekly Email Updates

      Covering all aspects of regulated U.S. online casinos, iGaming, sweepstakes, and more

      • About
      • Contact
      • Privacy
      • Terms
      • Disclosure
      • Responsible Gaming

      © 2026 Casino Reports.